SNR Excelsior 55 !
This radio works with its original tube amplifier and speaker, with a small Bluetooth card added so you can listen to your digital music from your phone or computer.
We left this radio all original because of its rarity and its investment value. All the tubes and capacitors have been changed on this radio. It works like the day it was made. It requires an antenna and earth wire to be attached to pickup radio stations. The lowest range of the AM selector is now the Bluetooth selection.
- Original tube amplifier, restored. Capacitors and tubes have been replaced (see pictures)
- Original speaker (see pictures)
- Added Bluetooth connectivity
- Tuner AM d’origine
- Rétro éclairage et oeil “magique” d’origine, fonctionnels
- L’alimentation sera réglée en 110 ou 220V en fonction du pays de destination. La prise devra être changée par l’acheteur si une prise française ne convient pas.
- Dimensions : 57 x 38 x 26 cm
The radio shows some minor signs of its age:
- the paint is all original and such has some corrosion marks along the edges of the case and the edges of the base
- some minor cracks in the grill near the knobs
In other words, this radio is in perfect condition for its old age, as the pictures show!
Important ! Informations sur l’expédition
It will be shipped with the chassis out of the case so when it arrives it will require a professional radio engineer to install the four screws, put the knobs back on and, if needed, change the French plug.
We ship it this way so the chassis can’t damage the fragile front grill. It will arrive in a very large box.
The shipping surcharge is included in the advertised price.
Histoire de l’appareil
The Nouvelle Société de Radiophonie S.N.R. (63 rue du Faubourg-Poissonière, Paris IXe) was born in 1935 and produced radios until 1961. Its first models, small and unadorned, were adapted to the context of the crisis of the time, but SNR quickly evolved towards bakelite radios to keep up with the other manufacturers. The competition raged after World War II, and the design team began to search for a signature that would set them apart. New, more modern models, made of metal and inspired by Art Deco, came out of the factories in 1947. The success was very fast.
The Excelsior 55, nicknamed "the butterfly", is the Grail of Art-deco radios! Produced only one year, it is very difficult to find. So far we have found only two others, and this is the first one whose condition is so good that we are able to restore the original circuits.
We don't know how SNR came from being so successful to shutting down in 1961. If you have any information on this subject, please tell us !
Free shipping to UK, Germany, Spain, Netherland, Belgium and France.
Full one year warranty
A question? Contact us
There are no reviews yet.